Thursday, December 23, 2010

From Calligraphy to Logo

The name “driftwood” was a creation from staying up way too late, looking at magazines, browsing the internet and looking at my favorites on etsy.com.  We knew the logo may take more than one late night especially if we wanted to do it right.  I started sketching the word “driftwood” in different ways and didn’t quite fall in love with anything.


That’s when I stumbled on PerchPapiers on etsy.com.  Heather is a calligrapher and I fell in love with her work and handwritings within moments of seeing her samples on picasa.  So we placed an order as quickly as we could.  She started by writing driftwood and some other motto words over 40 different ways.  Only a week or so later I received a beautifully wrapped collection of “driftwoods” along with a sweet note from Heather herself.



In Heather’s note she recommended cutting words and letters from the pages and using them as puzzle pieces.  I couldn’t believe she would suggest cutting up her work, but she was the expert so I got to snipping….and it was kind of fun! Sure enough I came up with a “driftwood” that I fell in love with!




PerchPapiers…well Heather to be specific… helped us take this handwriting and develop a digital image that is now the logo, look, feel and essence behind Driftwood Designs.  We couldn’t be more satisfied and excited about the logo.  We think it has a sense of playfulness, artsy, edgy but elegant look that we were going for. Tell us what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment